Three Things Homeowners Should Know About Leaking Faucets
The smallest thing can derail a romantic Valentine’s Day. Maybe the food doesn’t arrive on time. Maybe the dog won’t stop barking. Or, perhaps, a faucet starts to leak, leaving homeowners wondering: “What now?”
In this blog, homeowners can learn everything they need to know about leaking faucets, their effects, causes, and how they can be fixed to prevent them from disrupting one of the most special days of the year.
A Dripping Faucet Requires Prompt Attention
The longer a leaking faucet goes unaddressed, the more problems it can cause. Some issues that can arise from a leak besides wasting water include:
- Mold and mildew growth: They thrive in dark, wet environments–like those sometimes found under sinks. Without prompt remediation from a trained specialist, mold and mildew can cause respiratory problems, among other health concerns.
- Higher-than-normal water bills: Everyone should have a pretty good idea about how much they spend on their monthly water bill. If homeowners notice they have to pay higher than their usual rate, this could point to a leak. Homeowners get charged for water, whether it’s used through intentional use or an underlying problem.
Reasons Why Faucets Leak
Some possible reasons why a faucet may leak include the following:
- Corrosion: Corrosion causes metal to lose electrons, making it weaker. This can make a corroded pipe or faucet component more prone to leaks and other problems, like bursting.
- A loose O-ring: O-rings help create watertight seals. When they loosen, break, or wear out, water can escape when someone turns the faucet on. A professional may replace the O-ring if it's too old or has broken down over time.
Leaky Faucets Can Be Fixed
First, if a homeowner doesn’t have experience dealing with plumbing or doesn’t know how to fix a leaky pipe or faucet, they should immediately consult a trained professional. A qualified plumber can quickly address the problem and prevent future ones from arising.
Still, if someone wants to try fixing a leaky faucet, they may need to replace the faulty faucet cartridge, which controls water flow. This requires one to:
- Shut off the water main.
- Remove the sink’s handles.
- Remove the faucet cartridge.
- Install the new cartridge.
- Reattach the faucet handle.
- Turn the water main back on.
These steps may vary slightly depending on the leak’s severity, where it’s coming from, and other underlying issues, so hiring a pro is always the safest option.
About Lodder Brothers Limited
Lodder Brothers Limited is a community-oriented plumbing and septic company serving Guelph, ON, and the surrounding areas. They offer upfront pricing, comprehensive solutions, and a 2-year guarantee on plumbing repairs. Call them today for water leak detection and repair services in Guelph, ON.