Homeowners Should Prioritize Maintaining the Water Heater
By regularly consulting a plumber for water heater maintenance, homeowners can rest easy that they’re doing everything possible to keep their water heating system in good condition. A professional can inspect the water heater, drain and flush it, and remedy any growing concerns. This blog post will discuss what goes into water heater maintenance and its benefits.
Why Flush Hot Water Tanks?
Routinely draining and flushing the water heater tank is essential because:
- It reduces sediment buildup: When too much sediment accumulates in the water heater tank, it can impact the heating element and reduce the water heater’s energy efficiency, raising water heating costs.
- It prevents corrosion: Sediment and minerals in a water heater can also lead to corrosion and rust. Once a hot water tank corrodes, a professional will likely recommend replacement.
- It prevents leaks: Corrosion can eat away at a water heater’s storage tank, making it more prone to leaks.
More Preventative Maintenance
Plumbers can help a homeowner perform regular maintenance on their hot water heaters. During maintenance visits, they can:
- Assess the anode rod: The anode rod is a piece of metal inside the water heater’s storage tank that attracts sediment to prevent corrosion and damage to the tank. When the anode rod stops working correctly due to wear and tear, it needs replacing.
- Inspect the valves: Valves are an integral part of water heaters, and regularly checking the valves is a crucial part of maintenance. They control the flow of hot water and help regulate the pressure and temperature of the unit. Any loose or worn-out valves need to be tightened or replaced.
- Check for leaks and corrosion: It’s important to regularly check a water heater for any signs of corrosion or leaks. Corrosion can weaken the structure of a tank over time, leading to safety risks and potential damage. Leaks can be caused by corrosion or a loose connection, leading to water damage.
Upon inspecting the water heater, a professional can identify potential issues and recommend solutions, allowing some problems to be caught early and fixed before more damage can occur.
The Benefits of Water Heater Maintenance
There are many benefits to regularly maintaining a water heater, including the following:
- Save money: Routine maintenance generally leads to fewer repairs and better efficiency. Fewer repairs mean saving money, and better energy efficiency is reflected in lower energy bills.
- Better safety: A poorly-maintained water heater has safety risks, including gas leaks and even fires. Maintaining a water heater can be beneficial in protecting the household’s safety.
- A longer-lasting water heater: Water heaters can last around 8 to 10 years, and tankless water heaters can last up to 20 years. Having a water heater maintained annually by a plumber can extend its lifespan and prevent needing an early replacement.
About Lodder Brothers Limited
Lodder Brothers Limited has over four decades of experience serving Guelph, ON, and the surrounding areas. They provide upfront pricing, comprehensive solutions, and a 2-year guarantee on plumbing repairs. Call them today for water heater services in Guelph, ON.
Distribution Links +